Grady Memorial Hospital History
The first doctor to establish a practice in Chickasha arrived in 1892. In 1904, Dr. W.L. Peters built the city's first hospital, which had five beds and was part of his home.
In 1910, Dr. Walter Henry Livermore moved to town and built an updated hospital over the Dugan Department Store. Two years later, with the help of Dr. D.S. Downey, the hospital moved to the newer building over the First National Bank. In 1915, the partners purchased an apartment building and turned it into a hospital. Dr. Livermore and his family resided in the building, along with nurses who were training to work in the hospital.
The Cottage Hospital was started in 1923 by Dr. L.E. Emanuel. The Great Depression hit Oklahoma hard, and families did not have resources to access any healthcare resources. Consequently, that hospital closed. As the Great Depression ended and the United States began to prepare for entry into World War II, Dr. Charles Ohl bought the hospital and reopened it as a women and childrens hospital.
In 1942, during World War II, Chickasha lobbied the Army and obtained the rights to build Borden General Hospital, under the direction of the 49th Medical Unit. The facility was designed to hold 1,000 beds, but due to casualties of war, more space was needed.
The site where Borden Hospital once sat, is now the site of Grady Memorial Hospital. In 1956, a bond was passed to raise the $930,000 necessary to construct a modern hospital facility. In 1959, Grady Memorial opened its doors to the community.
Through the years, generation after generation has reached better health through the growth of this hometown, home-grown built, funded and supported health organization.
Grady Memorial has been foundational to the success and history of the Chickasha area, and remains strong today as it continues to still provide essential health services locally.